3.24.2010

Thoughts about school

I have a throbbing headache right now because I just finished one of the most epic school projects I have done in awhile. A pointless video about snail mail vs. e-mail. Sometimes I can't believe that I subjected myself to 4 more years of projects and deadlines and papers after completing the first 12. We tend to celebrate high school graduations more than college ones, but shouldn't it be the other way around? Once your out of college, you're really done. For good. Forever. Unless you go on to graduate school. Which I don't plan on doing.
Not that I'm against lifelong learning. I desperately want to be a lifelong learner and I want to instill that same passion in my kids one day. But sometimes structured, organized schooling under flourescent lights isn't the best way to learn. And so after I graduate ASU, I am fully looking forward to being in the "real world" that everyone dreads. I don't dread it AT ALL. I welcome it, I embrace it! I want a dog, a house, a kitchen to clean, a deck or a patio to sit on, or at the very least windows that open all the way (The one's at the dorms don't because they don't want people committing suicide by jumping out. Considering I live on the 12th story, it's a legitimate precaution because you would definitely die.)
Anyway, I am feeling stifled right now in my current existence at the dorms. My extreme exhaustion could have something to do with it.
On the bright side, I spent all day in a Kindergarten classroom. I like school a lot more when I'm the teacher, and not the student. When I'm "Miss Fletcher" and not just "Lindsay". I know each kids' name, and I love the questions they ask me on a daily basis: "Do you remember us?" "Are you coming back?" "How old are you?" (They guessed 34...to them, anyone over the age of 10 probably falls under the super old category and their age is indecipherable). Or, my favorite: "Do you have a husband?", and when I say no, they gasp or look shocked. They probably aren't used to a teacher who isn't married or a "Mrs." I guess they don't grasp they I'm an intern, because their always saying "We're lucky, because we have TWO teachers!" It's really cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment