8.27.2010

Professional Philosophy

Just thought I would share with you all what I wrote for a recent assignment for one of my Special Education classes. It gives you a hint at my passion for teaching and what the next few years might look like ;)

1. Why do you want to be a teacher?
2. Why is teaching an important profession?
3. Why is an education important to a person and/or society?
4. What impact do you hope to have as a teacher?

1. I would like to be a teacher because I feel that it is a great profession for someone who loves to shape young minds and desires to put their creative, cognitive and leadership skills to good use. Growing up, I always admired those teachers who were able to make the classroom a fun and exciting place to be. Also, I feel it is a very flexible and family-friendly career should I choose to get married & start a family.

2. I have always thought that teaching was one of the most important professions there are. Not only are you teaching a child the basics to survive in this world, such as reading, writing and math skills, but you are with that child 6 hours a day for 9 months out of the year, and you become that child's primary source of inspiration to learn. Without a teacher to urge him onward, or to be his patient guide, a child may never receive the help or support he needs to be achieve the things he is capable of. Teachers make a huge impact on the children they have in their classroom - sometimes a child will remember that teacher 10, 25, even 50 years down the road.

3. As a child, I remember passionately arguing with my friends that without teachers, there would be no other professions- because no one would be there to teach the doctors, basketball players, scientists or engineers the basics. Our society is essentially founded upon the humble yet mighty profession of teaching.

4. As a teacher, I hope to be exceptional. I hope to have a classroom climate that is stimulating without being overwhelming. I hope to be creative in ways that help my students engage in what they are learning. I hope to communicate with parents and involve families so that students are receiving help at home as well as at school. I hope have an impact on my students so that 15 years down the road, they will remember me with a smile in the same way that I remember my teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment